This word I like... We architect our life...
A song, a sigh... developing words that linger...
Through fields of green, through open eyes... It's for us to see.
Interanimate: To animate or inspire mutually

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Day -6

Settling in to my room here at Scripps. The chemo is coming hot and heavy, each dose lasting 2 hours repeatable 4 times per day for 6 days. After the busulfex i'll be on another similar drug for 2 days. Its called Cytoxan 4. The cocktail of Busulfex and Cytoxan is supposed to make my old stem cells (and others) go away.
Dose 7 of 16 of busulfex is coming up at midnight tonight. Theyre also giving me an antibiotic drug, an anti-seizure iv and a pill to prevent gerd. I'm a little dizzy from the Adivan but basically free of other side-effects from busulfex yet. However, I seem to have caught a permanent case of hiccups. Luckily it stops after I go to sleep.
Well, I have 2 more days of Busulfex and 2 of Cytoxan yet to cope with. If I'm lucky my body will avoid getting some of the more serious side effects. I'm still eating pretty well. The food is neutrophenic so it doesnt contain nasty little bugs that could hurt my weakened immune system. No fresh fruit! bummer. My blood counts are taken every morning and are starting to slide. This is good. They'll let the white counts slide to zero. I'll get plateletes so i dont bleed to death. and I'll get red blood cells so i dont die of a heart attack. Donor stem cells will be infused on day +0, next Wed. They will move into healthy bone marrow and do the job that my stem cells stopped doing. A nurse just came in with something for my hiccups. Compazine. I looked this up and think I will pass on it. In 1o min, the nurse comes to take my vitals and then i get 2 more Adivan in prep for the midnight-2apm buselfex poisoning. Whoopee! They tell me to walk around the ward floor 3 times a day. So far so good. I'm going to checkout the treadmill machine in the patient room tomorrow. Family is visiting every day, hanging out. It's so sad when they have to leave. We also sense your prayers, good will, and positive energy. Thank you! You are an inspiration to us.
Regards all!

6 comments:

Anne said...

Hey Jimbo,
Your attitude and strength are amazing. You are such an inspiration to all of us. Let me know when I can visit you :) Anne

Anonymous said...

Jim,
You never stop amazing me... You stay so strong and positive! I love your updates, being so far away its nice to know how your doing. Take care and keep smiling :)
LOVE ALWAYS
Shelli

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for keeping us informed. Told Cathie on the phone this morning that I agree with her that you truly are a handsome man
without hair ! Want you to know that your courage and strength is amazing and an inspiration to me daily. Love you and keep up the good work.

Pat H.

Anonymous said...

Jim,

You are such an amazing man! You have so much strength and such an amazing spirit, I feel luckly to be able to know and love such an inspirational person. We wish that we could be there to visit you, but are our thoughts and prayers go out to you each and every day. Reach for that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, because it is there waiting for you.

Love,
Candie

Duane said...

I agree: you rock, Jim!

Anonymous said...

Keep it up. You have an amazing attitude.!! June