This word I like... We architect our life...
A song, a sigh... developing words that linger...
Through fields of green, through open eyes... It's for us to see.
Interanimate: To animate or inspire mutually

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Day +15

"I see my light come shining
From the west unto the east.
Any day now, any day now,
I shall be released.
"
Bob Dylan
I dream of the day I'll be discharged from here. Luckily that eventuality has been mentioned by the doctor today. My white blood cell count is 1.6. Other numbers appear to be on track. After the doctors usual poking around, listening, and looking in my mouth, he said I should start commuting soon, no date specified. Commuting means going home and returning for thrice weekly visits for blood test, poking, listening, and looking. When my whites reach an unidentified level, I remain active walking the halls, and I show that I can eat and swallow pills, they'll release me. But it'll be more like a parole after time off for good behavior. Whatever it is I'll take it!
I'm stoked that engraftment of the new stem cells is fully underway. This was a major milestone. From here, the battle will be fought on 2 fronts. First, prevent opportunistic infection. Second, respond to and mitigate and gvhd (graft vs host disease). These 2 threats are considerable but management of them has improved drastically over the last few years. They have drugs to effectively control all but the most severe cases of these buggaboos.
I have been told that the marrow production of red blood cells may take another week or 2. Over the last 10 days I've had daily transfusions of RBCs. I think this may have been due to pre-chemo RBCs dying. But today, my RBC count was 8.6, the same as yesterday. My next big hope and wish is that this number will not drop, but start increasing without help from any more donated blood.
What WILL remain over the next few months as I recover at home is fatigue and some nausea. The old body took a big hit with all the chemo. It will be very weak for a time. The nausea will most likely come from some of the drugs I will have to take.
Cathie and the kids have visited every day and made my hospitalization sufferable. Dad came in today for a couple hours since he doesnt feel a sore throat anymore. My mom has phoned in a couple days to wish me well and to make sure I'm eating my vegetables. I'm afraid I'm going to be a big bump on a log the next 2-3 months so I feel lucky to have such a great support team.
The reason I havent posted in 5 days is fatigue. I felt more energy today.
Thank You all for you continued support, well wishes, prayers. I am forever grateful for your daily inspirations to me and my family.
I might be dischargable from here by Monday! Yipee!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news Jim! Happy to see you posting again. Sounds like you'll be back on the block in no time!

Keep up the good work!

love
Julie

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is great news!

Good to hear from you again. Monday, or whenever your "Monday" comes will be a new start for you and the family.

Go Tiger! Are you watching?

Love & prayers,
Katy & Larry

Anonymous said...

We are so happy for you ! Knowing you get to go home soon must feel just amazing to you. The comfort of being home and even closer to your family will only propel your recovery to another level. Hope it happens very soon.

Love & take care,
Pat H.

SoftwareEngineer said...

Would be great if you were sent home Monday (ah, the comforts of home). I'm still happy about the white blood cell count! That's fantastic. We keep praying; you keep resting!
William

Duane said...

Monday! That's sounds great. I'm sure you're eager to be released and regain a bit of your freedom.

Please keep us posted, Jim!

Wishing you continued progress.

Anonymous said...

This is great news Jim. Glad to see you are able to post again and to hear home is near.

Hang in there. We are all pulling for you.

Mike B

Anonymous said...

Jim,
I am so glad to hear things are looking up. I know its been a rough road but I see the smooth black pavement ahead.... ok if that makes any sense. LOL. I am glad to hear that things are good. I hope you get to go home soon, I know how nice it is to just lay on the couch, bed, anything is better then where you are! LOVE YOU LOTS
Shelli

Unknown said...

Jim

Dave Krula gave me your blog address. I printed out the past several days of your blog and look forward with great interest in reading your blog. I have mantle cell lymphoma and will undergo stemcell transplant mid-Fegruary. I will have many questions and apprehension - hopefully, you can share some advise and insight. I hope all goes well for you.

Best regards,
Tom Bull

Anonymous said...

wow, jim this is the best news ive heard all week. i kept checking in but didnt see any posts. i am glad that you are doing much better. i will be praying that you are discharged on monday!
June