This word I like... We architect our life...
A song, a sigh... developing words that linger...
Through fields of green, through open eyes... It's for us to see.
Interanimate: To animate or inspire mutually

Monday, January 14, 2008

Day +5




Today they hooked me up to a PCA, Pain Control Apparatus. This is a fifth pump added to the pump panel. The slot contains a huge syringe full of morphine. Click on the picture to get an appreciation for this puppy (997k). The PCA pump is programmed to drip morphine slowly into the patient. Additionally, the unit has a button. So, when I feel the pain coming on I can deliver my own dose. However, the button can not be used more than once per 6 minutes. I'll have to make sure I dont wait too long, cuz it could take 1/2 hour or so to get the needed relief. Also notice how the whole unit is locked with a key! Smart fellows these biomed device workers.

The other picture I posted here is of the round bag of stem cells from Wednesday. The collection actually has more than just myeloid stem cells.
My white blood cell counts are officially zero now. When they start going up in a week, they will be new white cells, not the old. Meanwhile the doctors must keep my system supplied with Red and Platelets, cant let these even close to zero.
When the white blood cells start appearing they will, as their first task, repair the damage to my stomach, esophagus, and mouth. For this reason, I'll be provided with morphine until then.
My Dad will not be visiting for a couple days because he thinks he may be coming down with a cold or flu. Cathie visited today, made me feel better just by being there. I'm not very talkative in my morphine haze but Cathie is forgiving.
Thanx everyone.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are doing so awesome! I love hearing about your progress. You are and your family are still in my thoughts and prayers!
June

Anonymous said...

Jim
Hey, head #3 looks kind of like that guy on the Colts (Gonzales) that caught a TD (in vain!). Beth and I saw the family at church Sunday. Lots of hugs... yes, I gave her one to give to you. Us men can share a hug now and then, right? Beth loves your site and I have to say, you've got a great attitude and YOU are an inspiration to us all! Keep up the inner strength. We'll keep channeling our prayers to you.

PS- Maddie's starting to drive now? Oh man.......it's scary enough our sreet has to deal with those Smith kids in cars....:)

Live Strong!!!!

Todd

Anonymous said...

Jim
Hey, head #3 looks kind of like that guy on the Colts (Gonzales) that caught a TD (in vain!). Beth and I saw the family at church Sunday. Lots of hugs... yes, I gave her one to give to you. Us men can share a hug now and then, right? Beth loves your site and I have to say, you've got a great attitude and YOU are an inspiration to us all! Keep up the inner strength. We'll keep channeling our prayers to you.

PS- Maddie's starting to drive now? Oh man.......it's scary enough our sreet has to deal with those Smith kids in cars....:)

Live Strong!!!!

Todd

Duane said...

Wow! That's some IV pump, Jim! The DELUXE version.

New blood stem cells and new immune system are on the way! Way to go!

Anonymous said...

Jim,

I just wanted to let you know my thoughts and prayers have been with you for quite a while. I've been getting my updates for months from Kristin--who has now given me the link to your blog.

Your site is very inspirational. My heart goes out to you, Cathie and your family. I admire your bravery, courage and insights.

Hang in there. Looking forward to getting together when you get through this. It has been too long.

Mike B

Anonymous said...

Jimbo...
wow... what a set up you have going on. You sound like you are doing well. At least they give you some good pain meds, gotta love that! Keep strong, your doing great!
Love ya
Shelli

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim,
When I looked are your pumps it brought back memories. Alaris used to be the company IVAC. John and I worked for them a number of years. I remember the discussions of the design of pumps, the purchase of a company that developed the PCA that you are using. I remember the discussion of the sales and marketing. Back then I didn't think that I would actually see the day someone would be hooked to all of it. I am so glad to see the pumps giving you the meds that you need. Keep up the strength. You will get to the other side of this.
Laura