This word I like... We architect our life...
A song, a sigh... developing words that linger...
Through fields of green, through open eyes... It's for us to see.
Interanimate: To animate or inspire mutually

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Hardware installed, ready to rock!

What a week.
I got the Groshong catheter installed Wed noon. Stayed in the bmt ward overnite, got adavan at 5am then the test chemo dose at 6am. The adavan knocked me out so i was totally unaware of anyone hooking me up to the 2 hr busulfex dose from 6-8am. On friday i got a 2 pint transfusion of rbcs, prolly my last from the clinic near my home. They used the new catheter in my chest. The area is still a little sore. From here on out, any more rbc transfusions will be done by the bmt nurses at the hospital.

I think I found out that I will be switching blood types in the next few weeks. I'll be going from A-pos to B-pos. The donor is B-pos and male.

I have plenty of DVDs to watch and we also get netflix. My fam got me a mobile dvd player! The rooms have a small TVs in the upper corner equipped with a VHS player. But who has VHS tapes anymore?? Half the rooms have ocean views and half have parking lot views. So i will either be watching hang gliders over the torrey pines golf course or people walking to and from their cars. mmmm, which side do i want??? Actually I dont really have a preference.

I'd like to blog every day. But after my short experience with adavan, the anti-seizure/nausea medicine, I may be too ditzy and wiped out to think clearly during the 4-6 days of chemo. Maybe i'll be able to type out a few words. I'll show Cathie how to post.

Duane, a kind blogger at Journal Of A Prize Fighter who is 4 months post-transplant, has provided me with numerous valuable tips for my 4 week hospital stay that starts Tues nite. Thanx Duane!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim,
I am glad to hear everything went well. Its exciting to finially get this started. Thank you for always keeping us updated. I hope you get the ocean view, all tough it is fun to people watch :) Anyways, love you and our prayers are with you!!
Shelli

Duane said...

No problem, Jim. I'll be following your progress all the way!

Wishing a happy and healthy New Year to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Jim,
I drank too much coffee at a party tonight so I am glad to review your blog to get an update. I know that tomorrow (actually today since it is 1:30am) is the big day. I will be thinking and praying for you constantly. I love your discussion about your theme song, and agree with you. Thinking of you.
Laura B.

Duane said...

Hey Jim,

I see that you've been introduced already to the 5am visits by the nurses for blood work, etc. At first, it will be annoying but you'll become more used to it although it will never be fully embraced.

Also, your bit about the proximity of your bed to the bathroom reminds me very much of how often (during the night especially) I had to visit "the John." This is one of the most annoying parts as it's so hard to get a descent sleep. Constantly waking up in the middle of the night. As you probably know by now, it's best to keep 1 or 2 of the portable urinal bottles attached to your IV pole at most times and especially at night as sometimes it's difficult to make it to the bathroom in time in the dark.

You'll kick cancer's ass, Jim. Wishing you all the very best!

BTW, comments are disabled on your most recent post.