This word I like... We architect our life...
A song, a sigh... developing words that linger...
Through fields of green, through open eyes... It's for us to see.
Interanimate: To animate or inspire mutually

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Day +172 Hiking to Cara, Bachin It

I had a good week except for one major problem. My family was gone. They boarded the germ factory called a Boeing 737 and flew off on their annual vacation to Cathie's home town, Lake Mills, WI. They return tonight.
Dad and I hung out and were able to find a new trail to hike every day of the week. We found some great ones. At this point we are trying to walk different segments of some of the same trails we discovered previously. Maybe I'll write a book, "The Hikes of Ranchos Penasquitos". It really is amazing how many trail hikes exist in this area. San Diego's 'Trans County Trail' provides some great jaunts. One of our best discoveries last week was the TCT trail portion between Black Mountain Road and I15. This turns out to be a very nicely shaded trail in the canyon with a running stream. We ran across some kids fishing in the stream. If you park at Canyonside, the round trip hike to I15 is approximately 1.5 hours. If you park at Ridgewood Park you can cut the trip in half. When you round a certain turn in the canyon, the 100 yard wide, massive I15 bridge between Mercy and RPQ Blvd suddenly appears in the west sky overhead like something out of a science fiction movie. Next to the I15 bridge is the old I395 bridge, rising out of the canyon to only half the height of it's replacement. As you walk under the 100ft high bridge, the sounds of traffic drown out the sounds of the Phoebees and finches chattering in the steam-side trees. You can't see the traffic, even from a distance. However we saw a lone yellow grading tractor sitting on the west edge of the southbound lanes. It was parked directly over one of the 100ft high columns. Caltrans is in the process of widening the freeway at this point and down to the south. On the East side of I15 you are still in the canyon. There is a single lane, mostly unused, road leading North-South to a waste water treatment plant that is visible in the canyon below to the Northbound I15 travelers. The road, Cara Way, is special. Dad and I first became award of this due to the fact that the road had numerous retaining walls on either side that were decorated in reliefs by a local artist. The designs were a celebration of the Kumeya’ay Indians. I could tell that great expense went into designing these retaining walls on a road that I thought just led to a treatment plant. We walked a hundred yards down the oak and willow tree lined road toward the treatment plant. Just outside the locked gates of the plant we discovered the reason for the fancy retaining walls. This was the location of the Cara Knott memorial park. Cara was 20 years old when she was killed by a California Highway Patrol officer in 1986. The park is a volunteer-maintained clearing with planted baby oak trees. Many trees are ringed with memorial rocks and artifacts for other young people who passed-on too early in life. Someone constructed a beautiful wooden gazebo in the South end of the 1 acre park. Walking around and reading the various inscribed memorial objects was a time to reflect upon how tragedy can strike so unexpectedly.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are getting to know the area more now then you have ever known it. And what a great way to do that. Spending that time with your dad must really keep you guys close. I can't wait to see you in July and hopefully your dad too. Please tell him I say hi.

I read the website for Cara, how sad. How can someone do something so horrible. Especially someone you are suppose to trust.

Love and miss you
Cassie

Anonymous said...

WOW... I feel like I just went on that hike with you! I am glad you are getting out and about. Cant wait to see you soon!!
Shelli