This word I like... We architect our life...
A song, a sigh... developing words that linger...
Through fields of green, through open eyes... It's for us to see.
Interanimate: To animate or inspire mutually

Monday, March 10, 2008

Day +60 Socal Slides, WBC slips, Babies

Greetings from still-green Southern California.
To follow up on my post from last week, I've included a short slide show. It has 5 pictures taken last week covering the Borrego desert, 60 miles to the East, all the way to the coast near my home.



If you are reading an Email version of this post you may not see the slide show and will have to view it from the blog page. The slide displays are very small renditions of the actual pictures. The pictures are actually 4 to 5 Meg each in size, rich in detail and colors. To view the full pictures you can click on the picture a couple times and it will download the original version which will be much larger than your monitor can probably display unless you are using some humongous HDTV. The purpose of the slide show is to let you see how beautiful Socal can be this time of year as well as give you an appreciation for the diversity of environments we have here. Both San Diego and Borrego are located in desert climates and the response to spring rains is very similar, they put out grass and flowers like crazy for a very short period of time. The first 3 pictures were taken Wednesday morning in Borrego. The desert floor is covered with grass and blooming flowers. Picture 4 was taken in the foothills of the Laguna Mountains a couple miles south of Santa Ysabel. Picture 5 was taken at the spot near my home that prompted my 'rolling green hills' comments last week. If you can click through to download the full version of these pictures I think you will appreciate them.


As for me, things are very similar to last week. My white cell count is down a little but the doctors say there is no cause for concern other than to be extra vigilant at this time with my anti-infection precautions. My other blood counts are stable. My energy level continues to increase. I was able to enjoy a nice car ride out to the desert with my Dad last Wednesday. We walked around the desert just long enough to get some pictures and enjoy the famous desert quiet. On the way there we stopped in at Santa Ysabel's Duddly's bakery and bought a loaf of their awesome potato bread. Today Dad and I took a long walk in the neighborhood. Afterwards I was pretty tired. Sometimes it is frustrating to realize that my recovery will take 3-6 months. I wish I could spring back more quickly and rejoin life. However, at this point I still need to review my blessings and many inspirations. I still frequent transplant blogs and forums so I know how quickly things can go wrong after a transplant.
I continue to appreciate the support and inspirations from you, my 11 readers. In the last few days two of my readers, who are also niece-in-laws, have had baby boys, each their first baby. Congratulations to Shelli, baby Parker, and Cassie, baby Samuel! Life begins new for the babies and a different kind of life now begins for the new Moms.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim,
Desert scenes, Bakery, and Dad.
Life is good.I always enjoy your blog. Our thoughts and prayers will continue to be with you and your "awesome" family.
Larry

Duane said...

Wonderful photos, Jim! One would think it's summer in Cali. based upon your photos. What a contrast from NYC!

I'm so glad that you're doing so well. You're amazing.

Anonymous said...

Jim,

I am so glad to see you doing better and geting out enjoying life. The flowers are beauiful. Your blog continues to be an inspiration for me. Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Stay strong.

Mike B

Anonymous said...

Jim... the pics are amazing. I am so glad you got to get out and enjoy it. I wish it looked like that here but no... we have snow and mud. Thanks for keeping us updated... Parker says I LOVE YOU UNCLE JIM, he cant wait to meet you!! (he told me) Love you lots
Shelli

SoftwareEngineer said...

Jim,

Thanks for the update on how things are going.

The pictures are fabulous! Oh how I wish I could afford to live in glorious Southern California. But, I have chosen the landlocked mountains of Colorado.

We are still praying, as you say you are not out of the woods yet.

God Bless,
William