This word I like... We architect our life...
A song, a sigh... developing words that linger...
Through fields of green, through open eyes... It's for us to see.
Interanimate: To animate or inspire mutually

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Day +10

A stem cell transplant is not something someone should lose one's hair over. This was my philosophy until as recently as last Wednesday. Unfortunately, in my case, it has happened. I suddenly started losing head hair a couple days ago and now am down to maybe 20% coverage. Viewed from the top,The non-loss areas seem to form a head shot outline of a bearded man. I was kinda hoping for a two-ended lightning bolt. I've now determined that the bearded head outline looks like that well known poster of 'Che', the latin liberator. Tomorrow he should be gone, fallen out. Then my head will look like a cue ball for several months. I've taken to wearing my beaney hat again.

I got the remote EKG device removed from my torso today. It was just another piece of hardware that I now wont have to lug around.

Today the doctor gave a good report. The manual blood count done after the machine counts shows an absolute neutrophil count (ANC) of 10. It also shows a WBC count of 0.1. The manual counts are done by hand but the ANC is more accurate.
The WBC count for a healthy person ranges from 4.5 to 11.
I'm on the board! My stem cell graft appears to be taking place!

Cathie and family hung with me today, once again lifting my spirits. Dad had a sore throat and is making sure he has fully recovered before coming back to my room. He phones me twice a day now. Bless his heart for his unwavering support. The nurses do not want anyone on the floor with any symptoms of infection.

Thanx to all of you!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the positive WBC count! That's fantastic news!!!

Keep up the good work.

Julie xx

Anonymous said...

soon, it'll be in the normal range in no time!
June

Anonymous said...

That is great news from the docs and I am glad you shared it with us!! THANK YOU
Shelli

Anonymous said...

Amazing.....amazing.....amazing !We could not be happier for you.
Thanks so much for sharing your good news...you've made our day !!

Pat & Dave

Anonymous said...

Jim,

That is great news! Any increase in the WBC shows progress that everything is beginning to take to its new home. I look forward to the blog where your WBC is normal and you tell us that your going home. Keep doing what your doing and I'm sure we will all get that email very soon. Our love and prayers continue to go out to you and the family.

Love,
Candie and Cory

Anonymous said...

Jim,

I'm so glad to hear things are looking up. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you, Cathie, and the rest of your family and supporters.

I hope you get some relief and start feeling better soon.

What is hair anyway? I hear bald is in.

Hang in there.

Mike

Unknown said...

Jim, I've been reading your blog daily, but have been reading it from what is emailed to me. I forgot that I could post comments too! :)

(this is what happens when your company IT people take good care of you.... you forget common sense computer-related things)

You are amazing for sharing your story with all of us. I think there are more of us than you know, who are regularly reading about the journey that you are on.

Best wishes to you, Cathie, and your family,
Pallavi

Anonymous said...

You would look awesome with a lightening bolt on your head. Or not! We are thrilled to hear of your +WBC counts. What great news!
Love & prayers,
Katy & Larry

Duane said...

Great news, Jim!!

SoftwareEngineer said...

Thanks for the news! And what good news it is! We will not stop praying for you every night.

William Chadwick